Re: Synthetic Lubricants

Subject: Re: Synthetic Lubricants
From: Derek Palmer <derekp@Synopsys.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:59:31 -0800
Listers,

I think early British cars relied on old dirt and old
build-up around seals to help improve the seal?
My Healey never leaks with non-synthetics, but
the detergent in the synthetics clean my dirt and crudy
oil from my seals and it starts to leak again.  I just
stick with non-detergent petroleum oil and everything is
good in the world. :-)

Derek

At 03:26 PM 2/23/99 -0600, Gregory Petrolati wrote:
>On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Jeff Snook wrote:
>
>> Dear Vintage Racers,
>>
>> 4.  Any problems running synthetic gear oil in an overdrive
>> transmission?
>
>       I wouldn't use synthetic for break-in (in the motor) the common
>       wisdom on the list to use petroleum based oil to bed in your rings
>       an then go to synthetics
>
>       I've noticed an increase in leaks... The synthetic stuff seems to
>       know exactly where to go to get away especially in the dif...
>       Otherwise, I just keep ahead of the flow:)
>
>gpetrola@prairienet.org                         1962 TR4 (CT4852L)
>       "That's not a leak... My car is just marking its territory!"
>Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois

Derek Palmer                    Channel Development Manager FPGA Products
Synopsys, Inc.          Phone: (650) 943-5203
700 E. Middlefield Road Fax:   (650) 694-1747
Mountain View, CA 94043 Email: derekp@synopsys.com
FPGA Express monthly Service packs are available from...
http://www.synopsys.com/products/fpga/fpga_solution.html