Re: Synthetic Lubricants

To: Malcolm Cox <malcox@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: Synthetic Lubricants
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:04:27 -0500
I used a motorcycle racing transmission oil in the Midget, 'cause I got half
a case when a shop I happened to drop into was going out of business.  This
time we're going to use Mobil One, or equivalent, 20-50 motor oil in the
box.  I would seriously consider the RedLine light weight Shockproof stuff
for the ribcase box also, but you don't need the oil to be modified for
hypoid gear use in a ribcase type box, while you do in a Hewland type box
where the oil is use in both the hypoid diff and the straight cut gears.

Don't forget that motor oil weights are on a different scale that gear oil
weights - 20-50 equates roughly to 90 weight gear oil, or so I've been told.
Plus British Leyland recommends 20-50 motor oil in the gearbox from new, so
why not?

Some of the local front running pro FFord guys don't use oil coolers, so I
don't doubt that you could also get away with it.  They don't use oil temp
guages either - they just run!!!

Brian