Re: Synthetic Lubricants

To: Jeff Snook <jsnook@wcnet.org>
Subject: Re: Synthetic Lubricants
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:50:38 -0500
I've switched to synthetic oil in everything - race and street (except the
lawn tractor).  I use off the shelf fully synthetic oil, although local
engine guys swear by Red Line.  I just can't get Red Line easily locally.

1.  Synthetic oil can run far hotter than normal oil before breaking down.
routine sump temps of 260 F are ok.

2.  You can run lower viscosity if you want to (I still run the recommended
weight) which can free up measurable power.  Similarly, you can run lower
oil pressure.

3.  Transmissions show markedly less wear.  We just had the ribcase box from
the  Midget looked at, after three years of pretty hard use, and the guy (a
very good race engineer) just put it back together - didn't even put in new
baulk rings.  It always had top quality synthetic oil in it.  I presume that
differentials would be the same.

4.  I'm betting that the quality is more even.  These oils are the brand
leader for each company, and I presume that the quality control is as good
as it's going to get.

5.  They must be better at just plain lubricating, since you have to break
in a new engine on normal oil.  I run a new engine on the dyno, or for the
first track session, then change the oil and filter and put in the
synthetic.  Gives you a chance to look for chunks, etc, anyway.  No exotic
techniques required.

6.  Redline has a web page.

7.  Synthetic works out to be no more expensive.  I run the same oil for
about three races, with a filter change after the first or second race,
compared to changing after every race.  Other guys run the same oil for a
full season (of competitive FFord racing) just changing the filter with
like-new bearings and engine internals at the end of the year.  I change the
trans and diff oils only when they're apart.  (Although the Hewland I now
have seems to have an "auto-change" feature, it leaks so much!)

Cheers, Brian