Re: This is for all you british car nuts

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: This is for all you british car nuts
From: Derek Palmer <derekp@Synopsys.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 12:34:12 -0800
I always loved this one.
Actually the first paragraph is no joke.
The 'chicken chucker" actually exists.
I did some work on the electronics
on this thing once.  It can launch a chicken
at supersonic speeds!  And boy does it may
a mess!  I almost went vegitarian after seeing
a launch.

Derek Palmer
San Jose, CA
At 07:02 AM 2/23/99 EST, DSRGR@aol.com wrote:

>   Scientists at NASA had developed a gun whose purpose is to launch
> dead chickens at extreme velocities.  No, this isn't the result of
> over-competitive engineers at the annual Goddard Chicken Toss
> (though that would be a perfectly understandable consequence.)  The
> gun is used to shoot dead chickens at the windshields of airline
> jets, military jets, and the space shuttle, (while they are parked,
> that is) at that vehicle's maximum velocity it could be traveling
> while in "bird space."  As such, it simulates the frequent incidents
> of collisions with airborne fowl, and therefore determine if the
> windshields were designed strong enough.
>
>    British engineers, upon hearing of the gun, were eager to test the
> gun out on the windshield of their new high speed trains.  However,
> upon firing the gun, the engineers watched in shock as the chicken
> shattered the windshield, smashed through the control console,
> snapped the engineer's chair backrest in two, and embedded itself
> into the back of the cabin.  (Luckily, the train was unmanned at the
> time :o)
>
>    Horrified, the engineers sent NASA the results of the experiment,
> along with the design of the windshield, and asked the NASA
> scientists for any suggestions.
>
>    NASA sent back a one-sentence response:  "Thaw the chicken first."
>
>Hope you laughed as hard as I did..... Gene,,, 65 Ocelot DSR

Derek Palmer                    Channel Development Manager FPGA Products
Synopsys, Inc.          Phone: (650) 943-5203
700 E. Middlefield Road Fax:   (650) 694-1747
Mountain View, CA 94043 Email: derekp@synopsys.com
FPGA Express monthly Service packs are available from...
http://www.synopsys.com/products/fpga/fpga_solution.html