Re: vintage-race-digest V1 #235 Locked rears...

To: owner-vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: vintage-race-digest V1 #235 Locked rears...
From: "Peter L. Krause" <pkrause@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:28:13 -0500
I can't see why RMVR would prohibit the welding of the spider gears in
the diff (or "locking" the rear end)... I don't have the luxury of a
clutch type, gleason-torsen or Quaife type "limited slip" diff carrier
available for any of the cars I race (except the Hewland or Webster
small transaxles...). I'm cheap, and most of my customers are, too.
Welding the diff is the least expensive performance mod I can make, and
at courses with high average speeds and endless corners, I NEED all the
help I can get!
BF Goodrich is committed to continuing to manufacture the old (pre
square shoulder, non asymetric tread BFG R1, model number 230, I
believe) in selected sizes, including 185/70-15 and some larger 15"
sizes. The most effective proponent of these tires is Jack Boxstrom, in
his Aston DB-4+++. Jack says the wear rate is terrific, no need to
switch back and forth from the Hoosier TD (not possible to drive on a
wet track with these, ask me how I know...) from wet to dry and, judging
by his lap times at Daytona and other places, they go like stink! Call
Herb Johnson or Dave Sanders at 1 800 RACE BFG for more info. No
commercial interest, blah, blah, blah...-Peter Krause (I like Toyos :)