Re: The current state of U.S. vintage racing

To: AREastman@aol.com
Subject: Re: The current state of U.S. vintage racing
From: Dick R <fastcars@home.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 00:20:12 -0400
Art

Many thanks for your thoughtful comments (and for your stunning
photography we've enjoyed in magazines`for years).

You speak of two factions in vintage racing - at odds with each other.
I believe there are several factions, and not necessarily at odds.
Depending upon your preference, you can find your own niche within the
sport.  As for HSR, we all know it is fiercely competitive with little
emphasis placed upon originality.  Nothing wrong or hypocritical about
it.  A lot of people like that.  I've raced with them for years at
Savannah and Mid Ohio and always had a great time.  Joe runs a first
rate event.  No B.S. - it's essentially for people who want to race
rather than stand around and admire machinery.  The HSR Savannah and Mid
Ohio (cancelled this year) events are non-spectator.  The Savannah race
in early November is one of the most successful vintage events in the
country - Joe gets between 335 and 360 entries.

In SVRA in '84 or '85, the cutoff date was 1972, and cars were REQUIRED
to be ex racecars.  Further, they had to have been retired for at least
5 yrs. - like the Hall of Fame.  Fact is, I never knew they had dropped
these requirements (or even really enforced them), though lately many of
the SVRA production based cars are pretty suspect.  This is another
"club" that puts on some really fine and very competitive events.
Sadly, many of the cars on today's SVRA grids are not the same ones that
were there a dozen years ago.  Those that are, are a helluva lot faster
than they were then, and considerably faster than in their "prime".
It's not only the development of cars and tires.  Then, most vintage
racers had been former SCCA drivers, yet almost none went directly from
SCCA to vintage.  Most of us - like the cars - had been retired from
racing for 10 to 20 years. Think about it - put on a pair of skis after
15 years and try going fast down steep terrain.  No difference - it can
be very scary if you're not used to it.

Many enthusiasts prefer clubs that strict about the authenticity of
their vehicles.  VSCCA and HMSA, two such clubs, are different from each
other, and from the very highly competitive clubs.  Both are alive and
well.  Actually, I enjoyed being a spectator at the Monterey Hysterics
more than I did being a competitor - what a hassle that was!!  Even
within some clubs, certain race groups tend to be quite strict about
authenticity - such as SVRA Group 4 - pre 1960 sports race cars, while
Group 8 - production cars through 1972 (except big bore) and Group 6 -
Ground Pounders - seem pretty liberal.  Groups 1 and 3 are the middle
ground.  Insofar as cheating goes, well that's been around since they
had the first race - the day after they wheeled out the world's second
car.  An early 60's issue of Sports Car Graphic actually ran an article
"How to Beat a Teardown".  You can go to the local trophy store and buy
the biggest and best for a helluva lot less than the entry fee for a
race, so why bother to cheat?  Or maybe, why bother to race, if all you
want is the win??  But if you don't really want the win, why race???

Brian Redman just put on a wonderful event at Elkhart Lake.  This is a
mammoth weekend with every imaginable vintage racecar - well, er, I
guess there were some fakes and Rule Beaters among the 496 entries, but
overall -  what an event!!  Even gridded 30th or 40th, you will find
someone to dice with and have fun.  Opposite end of the spectrum is the
little gem coming up at Waterford Hills (Mich.) this weekend.  You won't
find nicer, friendlier people anywhere.  After practice, drive the
racecars to the town park for a concours - like the Glen or Elkhart -
only many fewer cars.  Fun.

There is a club, an event or a race group for virtually everyone.  One
can even run Exhibition Class.  Vintage racing is not the monolith that
SCCA was 30 or more years ago.  From a 1948 MGTC to a 1988 Porsche GTP,
from an original Formula Junior to an updated Formula Atlantic, you can
find a race where you will fit and be competitive.  If you can't -
you're just not trying hard enough.