Re: The current state of U.S. vintage racing

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: The current state of U.S. vintage racing
From: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 11:45:21 -0400 (EDT)

> << I think we've hit on it - anyone who wins a race MUST be bumped up into
>  another race class - no exceptions.  Think about it - this means that we'll
>  have a constantly rotating window of opportunity for EVERYONE to win a race
>  (eventually, each race class will have only one entry, they HAVE to win, and
>  so move up), and as we go thru the cycle, we just have to keep thinking  up
>  new names for the top level race group...wow, what a concept!
>
>  Cheers, Brian  >>
>
> Well said, sometimes taking the argument to the extreme points out the
> absurdity of the the entire discussion.

As a lurker, wannabe, who is gradually restoring a modified TR4, maybe I'm
not too qualified to chime in here, but having posted my disclaimer, I
have found the discussion on the state of vintage racing fascinating.
Namely, is this idea really absurd, or is creating an incentive against
winning not really such a bad an idea.  If the idea is moderately safe
fun, (on the order of rock climbing, aggressive skiing of advanced
terrain, parachuting, scuba diving, surfing large waves, etc.) then I
would agree that winning alone is not worth all that much.  Otherwise you
will always get the win at any cost attitude coming out in some people on
some days.   The most basic tenant of these other activities
(all of which I have participated in) is to get the adrenaline flowing
without getting yourself or anyone else killed. The definition of extreme
skiing is you fall, you die.   Same with racing right?
        The worst outcome I would imagine, is that near the end of a race you
might actually see some leaders dropping off to avoid being bumped into a
more competitive class, and this could conceivably become hazardous if the
dropping off is infectious.  On the other hand, the joy of winning, and
the cameraderie of sportsmanship will surely prevail.
-KevinO