Re: Vintage Racing/Fatalities, we are all luckier than we realiz

To: Jim Hayes <hayes@highway1.com>
Subject: Re: Vintage Racing/Fatalities, we are all luckier than we realiz
From: Mike & Jaye Rosen <mra@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 09:06:09 -0400
Jim Hayes wrote:
and a VSCCA MG TD driver at Pittsburgh of unknown cause.)
> I think the reason for the safety record is MOST drivers are just out
> there having fun, and while they (we) may be driving close to the limit,

The fellow (named Kuhn) had complained of not feeling well in the morning - as
result of the heat. He, in all probability, was unconcious before the car went
over the
wall.
There's a lesson to be learned here as we are (in the most part) are a bunch of
out-of-shape old farts who get into a race car half a dozen times a year after
standing
around in the summer sun all day with our bald domes getting burned.
 We have to learn to take appropriate physical care of ourselves.
On the other topic of who's in the other car... to some degree, we've taken
care of that
here in Canada (Ontario anyway). To race any car - even vintage - we ALL go
through
the CASC licensing process which gives you an ASN-FIA license. We take yearly
physicals - go to school and have to reapply every year for our racing license.
Why
should a guy racing a 1967 Formula Ford be any less skilled than a guy in a
1997
Formula Ford? I generally feel safer here in Canada- even on a mixed grid track
than
I do at just about any US Vintage event.
Mike
Mike