RE: Vintage Racing/Fatalities, we are all luckier than we realiz

To: "'mike jackson'" <grand_wazoo@flinet.com>,
Subject: RE: Vintage Racing/Fatalities, we are all luckier than we realiz
From: psr@mnw.net (Patrick Ryan)
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 18:17:08 -0500
Sorry to add more.  A driver was killed in a 40's car, he hit a wall =
with no roll bar at Pittsburgh a few years ago.  One died against an =
unprotected planter in Colorado (Steamboat, I believe).  The second =
driver at Moroso was Jack McGregor.  His Allard flipped and contacted a =
light pole which was protected by Armco and tires, but he was airborne =
and made contact helmet first at about the six foot level.  The current =
death at Summit involved trees. =20

It would seem that avoiding street courses and courses with many =
obstacles like Moroso and Summit is almost more important than all the =
safety things we do to the cars.

Apparent heart attacks caused deaths at CHR around '88 and at Mid-Ohio =
last year.  Let's not forget checkups for ourselves as well as our cars.

Racing regards

Pat