Vintage Racing/Fatalities, we are all luckier than we realiz

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Vintage Racing/Fatalities, we are all luckier than we realiz
From: "Annis, Casey" <cannis@smtplink.Coh.ORG>
Date: Fri, 23 May 97 10:34:52 pst
     The recent tragedy at Summit Point has brought to the forefront of my
     mind a few serious but interesting points. For the most part, we drive
     cars from the most dangerous era of motosports. A time when cars were
     clearly capable of 150-200+ mile an hour speeds and yet had atrocious
     safety standards by modern design criteria. Feet forward, no or little
     crush protection, surrounded by gasoline, poor head protection, etc.
     Literally, 1000's of us race these cars every weekend, with motors
     that put out much more horsepower than they ever did in their heyday,
     with tires that allow us to corner far faster than they did in their
     heyday, and with (for the most part) drivers that have far less
     experience than the professionals who raced them during their time.

     Yet against these seemingly grim odds, their has not been a vintage
     fatality in the US in over a decade, as far as I am aware.Literally
     10's of thousands of safe race miles logged by the vintage racers of
     this country. While it makes me very sad to read of the death of this
     gentleman at Summit Point it also makes me feel very proud and very
     lucky, that we all have been able to realize our racing dreams with
     what can only be considered an exemplary safety record.

     Cheers to you all,

     Casey Annis
     Vintage Auto Racing Association