Re: Safety [was...]

To: MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: Safety [was...]
From: Carter Hendricks <carterh@crl.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 22:33:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 23 May 1997 MHKitchen@aol.com wrote:

> <With the age of our cars and the other points
> you memtioned, periodic crack testing is a worthwhile investment if it

Many of us are playing with irreplaceable parts, and the mechanical damage
alone to related components means that anyone playing by looser rules
than those for airplanes is just plain dumb. Crack testing, shot peening,
and a good regular inspection program is the cost of flying, racing,
driving old machinery.

> I certainly will now, having experienced this failure...BTW, my friend and
> competitor Gary Kuntz (also with a Lotus Cortina) took in his upon learning
> of my failure, and found both his front hubs were cracked where mine broke!!

Listen to the parts, Myles. We found a pattern of cracks under the heads
of the rod bolts on our 1900 Alfas. Not a very pretty sight. And all in the
same place. We didn't even look for more [bad] bolts, but found a replacement
[modified ARP Chevy]. Consult with someone on how to improve / replace that
part and meanwhile put it on a very, very tight leash.

BTW, any possible relationship to bigger better modern tires?

                                        --Carter