Re: Vintage Racing/Fatalities, Safety

To: MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: Vintage Racing/Fatalities, Safety
From: rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 21:47:46 -0700
Myles,  Those of us in Vintage Racing try to think that there is no
danger in our sport.  I remember telling my wife and friends when I got
started (in 1982), "No one has ever been killed in vintage racing."
That made it more acceptable.  However, the first fatality that I'm
aware of occured at a VARA event at Riverside--it must have been about
1985.  I was racing there and as a physician went to offer assistance
when the driver of an Aston Martin went off the track into a concrete
barrier protecting turn workers.  I was dumbfounded when they told me
they didn't need my help as the driver was dead.  I was involved in
telling his family as everyone involved in running the race seemed to be
in shock.  The cause of this accident was never determined (as far as I
know)--speculation was that the driver "blacked out" prior to going off
the track.  I am sure that this death had an effect on all those
participating in this event and on others in Vintage.  I went home and
did a very complete physical inspection of my car and a psychological
inspection of my person.  I also  put a collapsible steering column on
my car as that had probably contributed to the driver's death (broken
neck caused by the displacement of the steering column).  As for the
other deaths that you mention, I was aware of those.  The one at the
Pittsburgh Grand Prix really was not a racing accident.  The driver was
killed after the accident when his car which had come to rest on top of
a stone wall, and then fell off and down a ravine--the driver being
fatally injured when the car landed in a tree.
My condolances and heartfelt sorrow to the families involved.

Dick Buckingham
SOVREN Race Chairman
Ginetta #4;  Lancia Aurelia #101