[TR] Leather Quality

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Leather Quality
From: John Gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:05:04 +0000
Listers,
I just received samples of leather from 2 of the big trimmers in the
UK, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement, while I'm
sure the standard of the trimming itself would be of a decent
quality, what passes for leather is a shambles. I don't know if I am
so upset because I know leather and how far this stuff is from it, or
am I expecting too much. Examining the samples under a 10X binocular
there is no evidence of natural grain or even hair follicle, I
suspect the material is a re constituted leather, where they chop
tanned hides up, pass it through a machine that sticks it all back
together with pretend surface. Does anyone know of a supplier of real
upholstery leather either in the States or UK, a supplier of quality
I use for conservation leather is producing some upholstery skins,
but only goat, which display the correct grain are supple and of high
quality, but too small for areas such as the dash and the capping
above.
--
John Gillis
1954 Triumph TR2