Re: [TR] Leather Quality

To: John Gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: [TR] Leather Quality
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 17:07:29 -0500
On Wednesday 15 November 2006 01:05 pm, John Gillis wrote:
> Listers,
> I just received samples of leather from 2 of the big trimmers in the
> UK, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement, while I'm
> sure the standard of the trimming itself would be of a decent
> quality, what passes for leather is a shambles. I don't know if I am
> so upset because I know leather and how far this stuff is from it, or
> am I expecting too much. Examining the samples under a 10X binocular
> there is no evidence of natural grain or even hair follicle, I
> suspect the material is a re constituted leather, where they chop
> tanned hides up, pass it through a machine that sticks it all back
> together with pretend surface. Does anyone know of a supplier of real
> upholstery leather either in the States or UK, a supplier of quality
> I use for conservation leather is producing some upholstery skins,
> but only goat, which display the correct grain are supple and of high
> quality, but too small for areas such as the dash and the capping
> above.

John,

Yes here in the US we call that stuff pleather, not to be confused with plood.

When my dad did my 74 Triumph T140V in leather, he just visited one of his
friend's uphols shop and ordered a yard. Not sure where he got it but
somewhere in the US. Took about 2 days. This is real leather, complete with
grain etc.

If my dad was still around, I could just call him and get a supplier but he
passed away about 3 years ago.

I will make a call to my dad's friend to see if he can give me a name and I
hope they have a website so you can order.

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org