Re: [TR] Stereo head unit connections

To: cairnsbk@sbcglobal.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Stereo head unit connections
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:29:42 EST
In a message dated 11/13/2006 11:13:52 AM Central Standard Time,
cairnsbk@sbcglobal.net writes:
> Hello Listers,
> I'm ready to connect a new stereo head unit on my '74 TR6 and (being
> somewhat
> of an electronics simpleton) have a question: on the connection harness
> supplied with the Pioneer head unit, there is a yellow wire tagged "to
> battery."  This is an "always on" connection to preserve radio pre-sets and
> clock settings.  The installation instructions for the head unit say NOT to
> run the yellow wire through the firewall into the engine compartment.  I
> assume they want the connection made on the cockpit side of the firewall.
> What is the safest way to make this connection i.e. what wire should I
> connect
> this yellow "always on" lead to?  The other leads are: red - to ignition
> "Aux/Accessory" contact, black - ground, and blue - to amp remote turn on.
> As
> always, thank you all for sharing your incredible body on
> knowledge/experience
> with the list.

Is this yellow wire a heavier gauge than the rest?  If so it is the power
feed to the power amplifier and I would disregard the instructions and run it
right to the power tap on the battery cable.  You will need a 3/8"
quick-connect
terminal but Radio Shack should be able to help you on that.  Push the wire
through the firewall along side the main wire harness in the general glovebox
area inside the rubber grommet to avoid the sheetmetal chaffing the wire's
insulation (the reason for the mfr's warning) and fuse it with a 20 Amp fuse.

If it is a small wire then just find a purple or brown wire and tap into
that.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org