Re: TR3 liners (removed)

To: Popnglo@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 liners (removed)
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:12:43 EST
In a message dated 11/20/2005 7:24:41 AM Central Standard Time,
Popnglo@aol.com writes:
> HHHHmmm. I was not considering having the block boiled since I had not
> contemplated removing the engine unless I had to. The problem (blow by) I
> had been
> experiancing seems found with the condition of the rings and the one piston.
> If
> I was to pull the block then I'd have to address crankshaft and camshaft,
> that don't currently seem to exhibit any serious problem, which in itself is
> not
> a bad idea, just more involved (and $$$).
>
> Where and how does one draw the line?
>
> Ed (58TR3A)

Seems to me this is exactly what the designers had in mind.  The bottom end
is robust enough to last some 200,000 miles with periodic replacement of the
bearings but the piston rings, being of the metallurgy that was available at
that time, were much shorter lived.  With removable sleeves one could strip the
engine down to the point at which you are finding yourself and rebuild the
engine in situ.  If you are not a perfectionist you can fit new pistons and
liners
and reassemble the engine and be good for 10 years or more.

You might also consider having the head freshened up at this time.  Or not.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org