Re: TR3 liners (removed)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 liners (removed)
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:05:15 -0500
> HHHHmmm. I was not considering having the block boiled since I had not
> contemplated removing the engine unless I had to. The problem (blow by) I
> had been
> experiancing seems found with the condition of the rings and the one
> piston. If
> I was to pull the block then I'd have to address crankshaft and camshaft,
> that don't currently seem to exhibit any serious problem, which in itself
> is not
> a bad idea, just more involved (and $$$).
>
> Where and how does one draw the line?
>
> Ed (58TR3A)

Ed,

That is, of course, something for every owner to decide or him/her-self.
It may be helpful to know that the bottom end actually has a more frequent
periodic maintenance than the top end...meaning that I think the factory
book calls for the rod journal bearings to be replaced every 25 k miles or
so, whereas the rings/liners are looked at when wear warrents, such as
blowby.  At a minimum, you might do a plasti-gauge test of the bearings to
see that you're within acceptable tolerances.  If you're not, maybe somebody
on the list can tell you how to check that your journals are not out of
round before simply replacing the bearings.

Any engine with blow-by as you describe inevitably has corresponding wear on
the other parts that will almost certainly require addressing before your
new liners give out.

Other factors include how long you intend to keep the car, how much...and
how far...you intend to drive it, and how closely you want to be monitoring
the condition of the bottom end to avoid catastrophic failure.

Your call, but either way, have fun!

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A TS 58667
New Hampshire