RE: TR3A pulling an engine

To: "Art McEwen" <amcewen2@cogeco.ca>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A pulling an engine
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:09:38 -0800
> Assuming the rad and apron are already off and the interior out
> (including seats), is it easier to pull the engine out separately from
> the gearbox as the book says or can they be pulled as a unit?

I've always pulled them together, if I needed the engine out.  IMO not as
difficult as pulling the engine alone.  And BTW, I think if you'll check
pages B28-29 in the factory workshop manual, you'll see that is the
recommended procedure.

> Will the gear lever make it under the dash without the oil pan binding
> on the steering arm?

It might, but it would take a lot of extra clearance under the car for the
tailshaft to swing down.  I'd suggest removing the gear lever (as per the
book) instead.  Another alternative might be to remove the entire top cover
of the gearbox, but wrap plastic or something around it to keep out dirt as
you remove it from the car.  But IMO you should have the lever out to clean
and lubricate anyway.  Gets awfully cruddy in there.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org