Re: TR3 BRAKE DESPIRATION!!!!!!!!!!!

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 BRAKE DESPIRATION!!!!!!!!!!!
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:50:03 EST
In a message dated 11/14/2005 11:29:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:

> . What is the right amount of resistance encountered when the piston is
> pushed into it's caliper hole? (that is, with a trial fit with only the
> piston and O-ring in place).  It doesn't seem to me that the brake piston
> would slide out correctly if one has to tap the piston down with a rubber
> hammer.
> 2. Is it a NO-NO to even think of pressing the O-ring up against a running
> shop grinder in order to uniformly take 1/16" off its diameter? (I'll have
> to admit I did this because I had a few extra seals!)
> Thanks,
> Paul Dorsey

Paul,
I have done quite a few rebuilds over the years to various TR calipers.  As I
recall the piston will normally require some force to slide into the hole
with a new seal.  Don't forget to lubricate the seal with brake fluid so it
will
slide easier. I would say what you describe is normal and not cause for
concern. Grinding a seal would be a bad thing IMHO.
Darrell

===     http://www.vtr.org