TR3 BRAKE DESPIRATION!!!!!!!!!!!

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 BRAKE DESPIRATION!!!!!!!!!!!
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:32:42 -0500
A very, very frustrating day!!!!!!!!!!!
You see, I had bought new brake caliper pistons and seals at different times
AND from different suppliers.  Some stuff says 'Lucas' some says, 'made in
England', and a few parts show 'Girling' on them.
    Unfortunatly, I've also got the UNLABELED caliper brake O-rings (primary
seals) mixed up with the UNLABELED caliper pistons.  In my ignorance, I
didn't think this would matter, but now I know different!!!!!!!!!!
    Upon rebuilding my 'B type' calipers I've come upon a situation where
the new brake piston resists going down in the caliper because I don't have
it's proper o-ring!!!!!!!!!!!  In fact, I had to tap the piston in with a
rubber hammer.  I haven't even started the hard part by wrestling with it's
dust boot (secondary seal) yet.
    My questions are:
1. What is the right amount of resistance encountered when the piston is
pushed into it's caliper hole? (that is, with a trial fit with only the
piston and O-ring in place).  It doesn't seem to me that the brake piston
would slide out correctly if one has to tap the piston down with a rubber
hammer.
2. Is it a NO-NO to even think of pressing the O-ring up against a running
shop grinder in order to uniformly take 1/16" off its diameter? (I'll have
to admit I did this because I had a few extra seals!)
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A

===     http://www.vtr.org