Re: reproduction car?

To: 70TR6@mindspring.com, dconnitt@fuse.net, triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: reproduction car?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:45:42 EST
In a message dated 11/10/2005 12:26:26 PM Central Standard Time,
70TR6@mindspring.com writes:
> This motor had two applications if my memory serves correctly.  One was in
> the Mustang SVO's which performed nicely, but cost more than a comparable GT
> - didn't handle as well though.  The other application that I recall was the
> turbo T-birds.  There may have been others, but that's all the mental
> bandwidth that's available currently.

It was introduced in 1979 in a carburetor version.  It made a lot of HP
between 3000 and 4500 RPM but it was relatively dead below 3 grand and it ran
out
of steam after 5000 RPM.  That and a four speed transmission meant that there
were times it was lacking.  And it was noisy.  Not the pleasant kind of noise
but the unbalanced motor kind of noise.  And the rear axle had an unpleasant
vibration at certain speeds.  Something about the geometry.  It has a rear axle
design exactly like the TR7/8 but the Triumph axles are better behaved.
(Since the TR7 came out 3 years before the Fairmont/Zepher platform, upon which
the
Mustang/Capri was based I assume Ford copied the TR).

In the early 80's Ford formed the Special Vehicles Operation department who
sorted out these deficiencies and made it the car intended from the start.

The engine is near bulletproof, though.  And quite popular in circuit racing.
 Lots of go-fast parts out there.  And five-speed transmissions.

Too bad I bought the first one and didn't wait.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org