Re: reproduction car?

To: "R. Ashford Little II" <70TR6@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: reproduction car?
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@notwires.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:42:28 -0600
> Dave wrote:
>
> I was surprised that Ford made a 4 cylinder turbo motor but there it was..
>

> This motor had two applications if my memory serves correctly.  One was in
> the Mustang SVO's which performed nicely, but cost more than a comparable
> GT
> - didn't handle as well though.  The other application that I recall was
> the
> turbo T-birds.  There may have been others, but that's all the mental
> bandwidth that's available currently.

As usual, I am coming into this thread in the middle of it so somone may
have already pointed this out, but the Sierra GT from the 80s (which was
sold in the USA as the Merkur XR4Ti) had a four cylinder turbo engine which
I believe was the same motor.  2.3 litres, if I remember correctly, and I
think it was a direct descendant of the 2.3 liter engine that replaced the
original 1.6 litre engine in the early Pintos (to add more "road-hugging
weight", I presume).  The 1.6 litre engine was the Ford Cortina "crossflow"
engine originally.  And, a very fine car the XR4Ti was.  In fact, the base
Sierra was a nice car - I rented a lot of them on my various trips home to
see the family.

Michael Marr
1960 TR3A
Naperville, IL