re: Wiper motor test & lubrication

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Wiper motor test & lubrication
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:22:50 EST
Bill,
I have noted that the wiper works a whole lot better by taking out spindle
boxes and really cleaning them. They can get so tight they are barely turnable.
This condition wears hard on the spindle teeth and rack. I simply flipped the
rack over for access to virgin teeth on rack cable. Your motor may be just
fine.
Taking out wiper boxes is not that easy - that's why they get so bad!
An easy test is to try operating the wipers by grasping end of cable and
pulling back and forth - it should only require of few pounds of strength to
operate.
I used white lithium grease for gearbox, rack and spindles.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74
----------
I'm currently checking over the wiper motor on our Mk1 2000 as it's decided
to operate very slowly. The first time I thought I'd fixed the problem by
cleaning the commutator and re-seating the brushes, but the fault has returned
-
taking off the end cover seems to fix this for a while, but it's hardly a good
fix. I'm about to overhaul the unit, but I'm struggling on 2 counts. Firstly, I
can't find any test specs on this particular motor. There's plenty of
information on the Mk2 2000 unit, and a reasonable amount on the Herald/Vitesse
motor, but nothing more than a dismantling & reassembly guide for the Mk1  in
the
factory manual. Is there anything else published on this? Anything
substantially different (other than the gearbox) to the Herald motor as both
are sub-types
of the Lucas DR3?
Also, what's currently recommended for lubricating the gearbox and rack?
Original literature says Ragosine Listate grease, not something I've observed
on
the shelves at any of my suppliers.
    Cheers,
        Bill.