Re: Wiper motor test & lubrication

To: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wiper motor test & lubrication
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 15:01:49 -0000 hAUG44Gx031812
From: Graham Stretch <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>

> I would go with the Herald details, as far as I can see the units are the
> same with the exceptions you list.

Hi Graham,
    Having now referred to the 1968 Lucas applications catalogue, it seems the
2000 wiper motor is actually designated as a type 6WA. Nevertheless, it's very
similar in most respects to the Herald unit - I may take one of those apart for
direct comparison of the internals.

> I would guess from the name that the grease is a lithium based type, I would
> use some modern lithium grease.

That seems to be consistent with what I'm being told elsewhere, and it would
have been the direction I'd go in without a forum like this to turn to.

> How free are the wheel boxes? I just took mine apart and the passenger wheel
> box was that tight I had to use the wiper to wind the rack out! my wipers
> still worked just a bit slow!

The wheelboxes seem quite free. When the problem last ocurred the pipers could
be seen moving ever so slowly, though they first appeared stationary. I'm 100%
certain that the fault lies withing the motor/gearbox assembly, though the rack
will of course get it's fair share of lubricant when it all goes back together.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics