Wiper motor test & lubrication

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com>, "Triumph 2000" <triumph_2000@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Wiper motor test & lubrication
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:17:09 -0000 hAUDJLGx027075
I'm currently checking over the wiper motor on our Mk1 2000 as it's decided to
operate very slowly. The first time I thought I'd fixed the problem by cleaning
the commutator and re-seating the brushes, but the fault has returned - taking
off the end cover seems to fix this for a while, but it's hardly a good fix.
I'm about to overhaul the unit, but I'm struggling on 2 counts. Firstly, I
can't find any test specs on this particular motor. There's plenty of
information on the Mk2 2000 unit, and a reasonable amount on the Herald/Vitesse
motor, but nothing more than a dismantling & reassembly guide for the Mk1  in
the factory manual. Is there anything else published on this? Anything
substantially different (other than the gearbox) to the Herald motor as both
are sub-types of the Lucas DR3?
Also, what's currently recommended for lubricating the gearbox and rack?
Original literature says Ragosine Listate grease, not something I've observed
on the shelves at any of my suppliers.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--