TR6 with no brakes PART II

To: "Ross Fox" <rossjfox@hotmail.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net hAH0bKFG011108
Subject: TR6 with no brakes PART II
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:36:49 -0500
Message text written by "Ross Fox"
>First, thanks to those who responded to my previous request reguarding the

mysteriouly disappearing brake fluid.

<snip>

I found the leak.

There before my eyes, the plug to the PDWA warning switch popped off and
fluid was leaking from the switch.  With the plug removed, fluid could be
seen welling up in the switch socket.  I removed the entire switch.  The
PDWA valve looked "centered", but after drying the area, fluid could be
seen
welling up in this area too.

So, is my problem the PDWA or the PDWA warning switch, or both?  Should
fluid be seen coming from the PDWA valve when the warning switch is
removed?
  (somehow, I'm guessing it shouldn't)

Is it possible to test the PDWA valve to see if it's functioning?
<

Ross, the PDWA switch is not intended to seal against brake fluid.  The
shuttle in the PDWA has a seal on each end that seals against the brake
fluid and obviously one (or both) of these is (are) leaking.  You could get
a pipe plug at the hardware store and plug the fitting but the right thing
to do is to get new O-rings and replace them.  There is a honkin' big nut
on the end that allows the shutle to come out.  The hard part is braking it
loose but if the PDWA is clamped in a vice a big wrench should suffice.
Tap or shake the shuttle out and pop off the old O-rings and install the
new ones.  Reassembe and reinstall (or is that renew and refit?).

Oh, and repaint the inner fender.

Cheers

Dave