Re: Air Compressor Redux

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air Compressor Redux
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:09:31 -0500
Micky,
I have the vertical model of the Sears Compressor you are looking at. I went
with the vertical unit to save garage space. Except for the noise level, it
works great. Mine has a tank pressure of 135# which give me a little more
initial cushion of backup pressure. I have used it to run my 40# pressurized
sand blaster quite a bit this summer and it works OK. I have to use a small
nozzle which is OK since the media I am using is fairly fine.
One thing you have to be careful of though is power. I think someone else
mentioned this before. The motor is a 5HP 110VAC motor which draws about 15
amps or so. I forgot exactly and am too lazy to go down to the garage to
check it out. The power cord is huge, about 2-1/2 times the thickness of a
normal cord. I had a separate 20 amp service in the garage for my MIG welder
and I use the same plug for the air compressor. Forget about an extension
cord... You will be blowing breakers faster than an Ohio power plant!!
Like I said, it works great but that puppy is noisy.
Best Regards,

Dave Connitt
Cincinnati, OH
'67 TR4A