Re: starter wiring harness on 76 TR6

To: "INTERNET:Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com" <Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com>
Subject: Re: starter wiring harness on 76 TR6
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:51:29 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net hAADt4o8026867
Message text written by INTERNET:Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
>The wire is definitely brown (solid color).  I assume its original as
there is no evidence that anyone has tampered with the wiring harness in
the past.   It connects to the terminal on the solenoid which is next to
the starter itself (the bottom of the solenoid).   Looking at it closely,
the insulation of the wire is cracked and melted and the wire itself
appears frayed and corroded.  It looks like my best bet is to splice in a
new section of wire with a new terminal crimped on it.
<

I just checked Dan Master's book and the 76 has a white/red wire that comes
from the key switch, a pair of white/orange wires that illuminate the "bulb
check" functions and a white/yellow wire that bypasses the ballast
resistor.  The only wire that would effect the functioning of the solenoid
is the white/red wire.  You say you have a brown wire.  It seems to me that
someone has done some modifications and it also seems that this
modification has failed to function properly.  When running your new wire
be sure to route it away from the exhaust manifold.  It was probably the
heat from the manifold that caused the previous attempts to fail.

Dave