starter wiring harness on 76 TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: starter wiring harness on 76 TR6
From: Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 15:56:53 -0600 6.0.3HF47 | October 14, 2003) at 11/07/2003 15:56:56, Serialize complete at 11/07/2003 15:56:56, Itemize by SMTP Server on SMTPMTA2/i2Tech(Release 6.0.1CF1 | March 06, 2003) at 11/07/2003 04:00:27 PM, Serialize by Router on SMTPMTA2/i2Tech(Release 6.0.1CF1 | March 06, 2003) at 11/07/2003 04:00:33 PM, Serialize complete at 11/07/2003 04:00:33 PM
Hi.  I've had an intermittant problem with my 76 TR6 that has made the car
sporadically unreliable (just enough not to trust it).  The problem seems
to be the brown wire which is attached to the starter solenoid (there are
actually two separate but identical brown wires side by side that attach
to the same connector on the solenoid for some reason).   From where it
comes out of the wiring harness wrap (along with the thick red wire), the
brown wire's insulation is melted and the wire is in generally bad
condition.  The symptom is that periodically, the starter will fail to
operate.  Instead it will just click but not turn over.  Battery is fully
charged.  I've learned that if I "fiddle" with the brown wire going to the
solenoid, the starter will start working.  I have cleaned the contact
surfaces with steel wool and wire brush.  It will work for a while, then a
few weeks later, it will repeat the failure.   The problem I have is that
I can't figure out how to replace this wiring without opening up the
harness and/or replacing the wiring harness.  There is not much length to
work with between the solenoid and where the wire disappears into the
harness wrap.   Any suggestions?  I hate to replace the entire wiring
harness (and all the dash disassembly that entails) just because of this
deteriorated wire.

Thanks
Greg Hutmacher
DFW, Texas