starter wiring harness on 76 TR6

To: "INTERNET:Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com" <Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com>
Subject: starter wiring harness on 76 TR6
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 18:32:09 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net hA7NdlE9022910
Message text written by INTERNET:Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
<snip>The symptom is that periodically, the starter will fail to
operate.  Instead it will just click but not turn over.  Battery is fully
charged.  I've learned that if I "fiddle" with the brown wire going to the
solenoid, the starter will start working.  I have cleaned the contact
surfaces with steel wool and wire brush.  It will work for a while, then a
few weeks later, it will repeat the failure.   The problem I have is that
I can't figure out how to replace this wiring without opening up the
harness and/or replacing the wiring harness.  There is not much length to
work with between the solenoid and where the wire disappears into the
harness wrap.   Any suggestions?  I hate to replace the entire wiring
harness (and all the dash disassembly that entails) just because of this
deteriorated wire.<

Greg, it is possible  that the connection between the wire and the crimp
terminal is causing the problem.  Cutting off the terminal and crimping on
a new one may solve the problem  It is also possible that the wire has
broken inside the insulation and because the insulation is still intact you
do not see the break.  In this case you can find the other end of the wire
and just run a bypass.  And get some harness tape from British Wire and
wrap that part of the harness so it looks original.

But I have one question: Are you sure it is a Brown wire?  I didn't think
the CF model TR6's had a brown wire to the solenoid.  These cars had a
power tap on the battery cable where the brown wires (3) attached.  The
only wires, I recall, on the solenoid are the battery cable, the
white/orange wire and the third wire that bypasses the ballast resistor in
the harness which is another light color.  Whatever the color of this third
wire, it has no effect on the operation of the solenoid.

Dave