RE: Amber Warning Light On TR3

Subject: RE: Amber Warning Light On TR3
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 22:01:40 -0800
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Thanks for the comments. I suppose it's still possible that the wiring
> did not get put back together right, although all four turn indicator
> lamps are working. It's just in the steering wheel switch's middle
> position that the indicator light stays on. (By the way the owners
> manual does call the amber indicator light a "warning lamp."
>
> Anyway, since I did not touch the wiring at the flasher itself, and the
> system was working before I undid the wiring, could it be possible that
> I somehow shorted the flasher unit to make it behave in such a way that
> the light stays on when the signals aren't?

It's possible I suppose, but I think it's unlikely.  Actually, I can't think
of anything that would do that, assuming you have the right flasher and it's
wired properly.  With the right Lucas flasher, the dash lamp only comes on
when the bimetal strip inside the flasher is hot, and it's only heated when
the dash lamp is off.

Try disconnecting the green/brown wire at the flasher, and see if the lamp
on the dash still stays on.  If it does, either the flasher or the two
remaining connections to it must be bad.  If it now goes out, then the
problem is between the flasher and the control head (or possibly the control
head itself has a short in it).  The green/brown from the flasher should go
only to the control head (the original schematic shows it changing color to
green at one of the connectors under the hood, but most control head
harnesses seem to have light green with a tracer instead), and with the
switch in the center position, there should be no continuity from that wire
to any of the lamps. (However, with the key on, it will get power through
the flasher if it's still connected to it.)

If you don't find it from that, write back with what you did find, and we'll
go from there.

Randall