RE: Amber Warning Light On TR3

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Amber Warning Light On TR3
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 17:58:12 -0800
> BUT the amber warning light on the dash is on solid when the turn
> signals aren't activated. None of the books I have say much about what
> the warning lamp is supposed to be warning.

The amber lamp (green on later cars) is only supposed to be an indication
that the turn signals are flashing.  One side is grounded, the other is
wired directly to a special contact on the flasher, that is only supposed to
be hot when the lamps are connected through the switch, but are "flashed
off" at the moment.  Chances are, you've got the wiring wrong at the turn
signal flasher.

However, there's also a chance you simply have the wrong flasher.  I've
discovered that most 3-terminal flashers sold in the US do not work
correctly with the Triumph wiring scheme, they expect the other side of the
indicator lamp to be wired to 12v rather than ground.  The symptom is
exactly what you've described, the light flashes normally when the signals
are on, but stays on all the time when they aren't.

Randall