The ultimate insult

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The ultimate insult
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:07:34 +0100
I took some friends (who are also ST enthusiasts) to the former factory site
this week. We did the usual 'tour' which also included the Memorial and parked
my BigSix in a (new) factory gateway opposite the edifice.
While on the other side of the road, I noticed someone of advanced years
peering into my car and went over to talk to him in case he had ideas about
relieving me of my video camera and cellphone.
"Can I help you?"
"No thanks, I was just admiring your Austin."
"My what?!!"
"Your Austin. Made at Longbridge, wasn't it?"
"No, it was made here."
"Here?" he said, looking around him. "There's no factory here."
"No, but there was. This is a Triumph, made by Standard Triumph - here, on
this site. If you want to get into specifics, the main plant was just over
there."
Patronisingly - "I find that hard to believe."
"Perhaps - go and look at that Memorial"
"What's that for?"
"To commemorate the cars made here and the people who worked here."
"I always thought Austins were made at Longbridge."
"They were. It's now gone up market and calls itself Rover."
"Oh, I had a Triumph once. A Herald, nice car. Haven't seen A Triumph for
years."
"YOU'RE STANDING BESIDE ANOTHER ONE - NOW! AT THIS MINUTE!"
"No, this is an Austin"
"Do me a favour, mate? What do the badges say front and rear?
"Er, Triumph at the front and er... Triumph at the rear."
"So from that info, what do you deduce?"
"it looks like an Austin to me."

Doddering old f**t. Trouble is, I doubt he was much more than twenty years
older than me. I had to repair to The Phantom Coach down the road (my former
watering hole in bygone days) as my blood pressure had reached danger level!

Jonmac