Re: welder question

To: "1-Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: welder question
From: "Odd Hedberg" <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:12:17 +0200
Friends,
I've got several welders;
An oxyacetylene unit [mainly for loosening stuck nuts and bolts
- I haven't used it for welding in years]

An 150 Amp MIG welder that takes 0.6 or 0.8 mm wire

An 180 Amp DC TIG welder [with the option of using it as an arc
stick welder of max 3mm diameter sticks, if I detach the TIG cable/
hose and fit the extra stick welding handle/cable + reverse the
earth polarity]

A small stick welder I inherited from a neighbour moving to age care
- and _never_ use...

Both of the serious electric welders are operated off of a 16A 380V
three-phase outlet - and I have never had a problem with the power
feed.  They are both operated with pure Argon as shielding gas,
mainly for ease of storage and cost reasons.  They share the same
gas bottle as  I find it cheaper, much cheaper, that way.  And I
occasionally TIG some stainless material - mandating Argon before
CO2 or mixes...

I must say that my favourite machine is the TIG - it's possible to
create the most gorgeous welds with a TIG welder.  That said I would
recommend the beginner to start welding with a quality MIG welder.
Start practising with thicker material [about 2-3mm] and go thinner
as you learn the skills.  But; If you can muster the money - buy a
TIG welder like mine with the arc stick welding option.  It's ac-
tually two welders in one.  Slightly more expensive, but you save
on storage space, for instance...  And...

_Never_ buy a single phase machine!  Get yourself three phase power
long before you start thinking Welders...
Regards
/Odd

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary, TR8-rep.,