Re: welder question

To: "rudyeb" <rudyeb@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: welder question
From: "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 23:49:03 -0500
Rudy
 I would support what Wayne said. For a first time welder MIG  has the
quickest learning curve. If you can learn from my mistake I would offer the
following;
I bought my MIG welder to do body work on a restoration. I bought several
books and read up on welding and then took MIG in hand and went to town on
body work. MIG is simple enough that I could turn out acceptable joints with
some effort.   It wasn't until two years later than my wife came up with a
project that required welding heavy metal ( angle iron ). Until then I had
only done sheet metal.
I found welding thicker metal to be far easier  and  slower than sheet
metal. If I had started welding the heavier metal first I would have
developed  the basics far more quickly  and mastering the welding of
sheetmetal would have been much easier with far fewer burn through.
If you do go MIG,
1) get some angle Iron first and start welding with that.  2) Use lap joints
to join sheet metal and leave the butt joints to a professional.
Bob