Re: welder question

To: Bob Nogueira <nogera@worldnet.att.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: welder question
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 05:35:26 -0400
Bob and list members,

What size mig to you have and how thick is the heavy metal you weld with
it.

I plan to get a mig, but can't decide whether I should get a big mig vs
a small mig and a stick welder. I can get a stick welder like the
Lincoln "tombstone" for about $230.00, so the question becomes whether I
should spend the extra $230.00 to get a larger mig and will the extra
$230 get me as much as a stick welder.

There are also some issues with the service in my garage. I have 40 amps
which I think is plenty for the stick after it is up and running, unless
I'm welding some very thick material, but there are some issues about
start up -- will the cheapo stick welders like the Lincoln tombstone
draw the unit's full rated 50 amps on startup???

Don Malling