Law of Conservation of Triumphs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Law of Conservation of Triumphs
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:46:07 -0700 (PDT)
I seem to remember from Physics or Thermogoddamnits some laws about
conservation of mass, energy, entropy .. something like that.

There must be one for Triumphs too.
yesterday evening .. I got my TR-6 running again.
Yeah it has a nasty oil leak up near the front "sealing block" but the car
works.   Then the law of conservation of road worthy Triumphs kicks in.  If one
car is added to the pool, one must come out.

While I'm on my lunch hour today toodleing around in the TR4 . . . the car dies
suddenly as I pull away from a stoplight.

Just dead.  No spark.

Up on the shoulder I go . . . I can see that the electrical system still works,
and I notice a smell as I get out of the car.  I recognize the smell as coolant
and see a big wet trail leading up to the car.

Open the hood and everything is soaked.  The bypass line burst all the way down
its length.

Lovely.

Out comes the towels and I'm drying everything off as best possible.
All I've got is duct tape . .so I'll try it .. I know it won't work though.

The car sputters to life again . . . seems like it is only running on 3
cylinders and I make it up the road to the median to turn around and head home.
  It dies again.   Under the hood is soaked again and I'm running out of water.
 Seeing the futility I give up and invoke the AAA plus card.

In not too long a period of time I get picked up and get a nice air conditioned
ride home making friends with yet another local tow truck driver.

Once he gets me home and is going to drop the car in the driveway  . . he
starts swearing.  The PTO on his truck is broken.  So he calls another flatbed
so they can put them back to back .. roll my car on to the other one and then
lower it to the ground.

I had to laugh a little bit at the frustration of the tow truck driver waiting
for another tow truck.  I don't think he saw the irony in his "Where the hell
is he?  What could be taking him so long?"

That's my story for today.

I'll be peppering you all with some questions about these two cars that almost
work.

Scott Tilton
one Triumph or another everyday
Leesburg, VA