RE: Sidecurtain Repair

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Sidecurtain Repair
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:50:14 -0700 FILETIME=[4E038520:01C326DC]
> I'm replacing the plexiglass stationary windows (as opposed to
> the sliding
> panels) in my sidecurtains. Both stationery pieces are currently
> missing. I plan
> to have new panels cut by my friendly plexiglass shop here in Indy.

I believe the original stationary panels were not plexiglass, but a thinner,
more flexible plastic like the windows in the rag top.

> I notice from photos that there appears to be an edging or
> capping along the
> inside vertical edge of the stationary window. If so, what is its
> function?
> Does it keep the two windows from sliding against each other? Is
> it essential to
> have it in place? What's it made of?

It is an aluminum extrusion, with a strip of fuzzy material on the side the
sliding window touches.  I believe it actually serves 3 functions : stiffens
the edge, stops a tiny amount of draft, and holds the sliding window away
from the fixed window, so it doesnt scratch it (as badly) when you move it.

A simple pair of Plexiglas panels will work fine (that's what I used for
many years), but you will likely find that there isn't room for both pieces
of plexi and the original channel.  I wound up cutting part of mine away.
Of course a TR3A has outside door handles, so sliding windows aren't as
important ... except when you need to look to the side !

Randall