Sidecurtain Repair

To: "INTERNET:MotoPsyche@aol.com" <MotoPsyche@aol.com>
Subject: Sidecurtain Repair
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:59:28 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h4UH5Rtn030190
Message text written by INTERNET:MotoPsyche@aol.com
>In a fit of DIY, I'm taking the budget route first.

>I'm replacing the plexiglass stationary windows (as opposed to the sliding

>panels) in my sidecurtains. Both stationery pieces are currently missing.
I plan
>to have new panels cut by my friendly plexiglass shop here in Indy.
>
>I notice from photos that there appears to be an edging or capping along
the
>inside vertical edge of the stationary window. If so, what is its
function?
>Does it keep the two windows from sliding against each other? Is it
essential to
>have it in place? What's it made of?

It is a draft excluder.  It is a seal like that you would find at the
inside interface between the dooe and the wind up glass in later model
cars.  (Imagine that, windows the retract into the door?!!!)

>Also, what is the amount of overlap between the stationary and sliding
>windows, measured horizontally, when the sliding window is fully closed?

About one to one and a half inches.

>Given that the curtains are primarily for "emergency use", I'm going to
try a
>DIY repair in lieu of having them sent out to TRF for the full Monty.

In that case don't worry about the draft excluder.  It just keeps out the
cold air in the winter.  But good clear windows are rather important.  Mine
are TRF restorations and are quite nice.  Much nicer than the rest of the
car.

Fortunately, I drove the TR3 today.  It is "Drive Your British Car Week"
after all.  First day it rained all week.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6
80 TR8
So far I've driven nothing but this week.