Re: Sidecurtain Repair

To: MotoPsyche@aol.com
Subject: Re: Sidecurtain Repair
From: Drew Rogge <drew@pixar.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:06:53 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
The edging on the fixed window is a narrow piece of "U" shaped
aluminum which is gently clamped to the plexiglass and also extends
into the channel in the frame a bit both top and bottom. As far as
I know it's purpose is to stiffen the edge of the fixed window.
Essential? Probably not. I think I overlapped the two windows by
about and inch. As far as I'm concerned, the tough part of replacing
the fixed window is sealing up the leading edge where it meets the
frame.

Have fun,
Drew

MotoPsyche@aol.com wrote:
> In a fit of DIY, I'm taking the budget route first.
>
> I'm replacing the plexiglass stationary windows (as opposed to the sliding
> panels) in my sidecurtains. Both stationery pieces are currently missing. I
>plan
> to have new panels cut by my friendly plexiglass shop here in Indy.
>
> I notice from photos that there appears to be an edging or capping along the
> inside vertical edge of the stationary window. If so, what is its function?
> Does it keep the two windows from sliding against each other? Is it essential
> have it in place? What's it made of?
>
> Also, what is the amount of overlap between the stationary and sliding
> windows, measured horizontally, when the sliding window is fully closed?
>
> Given that the curtains are primarily for "emergency use", I'm going to try a
> DIY repair in lieu of having them sent out to TRF for the full Monty.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Bill Stagg
> 1961 TR3A

Drew Rogge