Getting the Minilite Replicas Shod...

To: moag@ix.netcom.com, <triump-list@barteet.com>
Subject: Getting the Minilite Replicas Shod...
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 08:53:18 -0700 (PDT)
Dave,

Tires. It's the subject that never gets old.

As for the wheels, I have a '62 TR4 with the Moss Minilite replicas. After
several years driving on them, I have no complaints. They look very good
and stay true. However, keep in mind they are a replica in appearance, but
come nowhere close to REAL minilites in respect to weight. They are heavy
compared to the Minilites or Panasports. Next time around I'm going to go
to 16" Panasports.

As for tires, here's how I made my selection. I took my stock TR4 wheel
into the tire dealership fitted with the Michelin XZX 165SR15 and shopped
for 15" tires that were the same height as I really hate the way a car
looks when the wheel well isn't filled up. 60 series tires on these cars
DO NOT look good.

I found that the Pirelli P600 195/65 and 205/65 tires were the right
height and it seemed like a decent enough tire. I got greedy and went with
the 205 which if I had to do over again I'd go with the 195 as the front
tire rubs sometimes with a heavy passenger on hard corners. I do get a lot
of positive feedback on the appearance though.

As for performance, they work well enough, though I'm sure there are
probably some softer compounds that might be more fun. Finding them in the
correct aspect ratio is the problem. There are not a lot of high
performance tires in the 65 and 70 series aspect ratio which is why I'm
somewhat interested in going to a 16" wheel.

No matter what tire you decide upon, I would reccommend taking in your
current wheel\tire combo for height comparison in the showroom.

Good luck, Dave and let us know what you find.

-jeffrey