RE: Scam

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Scam
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:29:08 -0700
> > Allan Markby wrote:
> >
> > If soemone can't afford a real email address (there are many that are
> > free)
> > then they can't afford an LBC

TeriAnn replied :

> I just had to run the numbers.  My email account is $17/mo and I've had
> it since '95.
>
> The total amount I have paid for my email address during that time
> exceeds my purchase price of my 1960 Land Rover AND my 1961 Triumph
> TR3A combined.  So I'm not sure your analogy  is the best.

Apples and oranges ... how much have you spent on maintenance for your LBCs?
Besides, that's only $1632; if you got both a running TR3 and a running LR
for that price you either bought them a long time ago, or got one heck of a
deal.

Plus, $17/mo is almost certainly a package price, that includes internet
access, email storage (which is different than an email name) and perhaps
even storage for your web site.  If not, you're paying way too much.  Just
an address shouldn't cost more than $20/yr even including redirection to
your mail server.

> I just do not think an email account name is indicative of content
> validity.  Besides a good scammer can fake the short headers.

That I agree with completely.  There are many, many reasons for having an
email address that doesn't match one's name, and intended fraud is not one
of them.  In fact, many ISPs will let you change your name yourself, it
takes only a few seconds to create a new email name.

Randall
randallyoung at attbi.com
tr3driver at attbi.com
A71Stag at attbi.com
- all subject to change without notice, when the spammers find them