Re: oily spark plugs

To: "Doug Nicotera" <dougnicotera@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: oily spark plugs
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:11:18 -0700
> Looking for enlightenment from the list.... Here's the history: my 73
> TR6 shows about 60,000 miles with no engine work from me except a carb
> rebuild last summer. Don't know what the PO did. I'm running a stock
> coil with Pertronix electronic ignition and Champion N9Y plugs (less
> than 300 miles on the plugs).
>
> About ten days ago, I noticed some rough running and found that #5 plug
> wasn't firing. It was grimy (oily) when I pulled it, replaced the plug
> and all ran well. Yesterday, only about 100 miles since that, same
> thing occurred. Pulled all of the plugs. #5 was again oily, and two
> other plugs had light oil on them. The remaining plugs looked fine.
> Replaced them all and it's running okay.
>
> I know I now have a problem somewhere, but how big?
>
> If I replaced the plugs with a hotter plug (to maybe burn off the
> oil?), would that do anything? Would it just be a temporary fix that
> masks a bigger issue?
>
> Is this a major or minor issue? What would be the possible causes and
> fixes for this?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Doug Nicotera
> Harrisburg PA

Doug, it may be very simple.  It's possible that a spark plug wire is
shorting out. If they haven't been replaced recently, try a new set.  Then
take out the Petronix and put a set of points back in and see if it doesn't
improve. Those magnets, at least on the earlier versions, have a tendency to
come loose, get misaligned, and cause mis-firing.

Bob