RE: Compression Test

To: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Compression Test
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 15:23:41 -0700 FILETIME=[F6B8A000:01C32179]
> This may sound stupid, but what must I do to prepare my car for a
> compression test?
>
> Do I have to cut the fuel feed and disconnect the lead in the center of
> my distributor cap?

Patrick, lots of people have already answered about the fuel (no need), but
I'd like to clarify the wire issue.   IMO it's better to remove one of the
low tension wires from the coil, rather than the center high tension wire.
My reasoning is that removing only the center wire (or no wire at all) puts
an unusual strain on the coil, making a failure more likely.

With the wires connected, the spark plugs always limit the system voltage.
With the plugs disconnected, the coil output voltage can go much higher,
raising the possibility of failure.    And while you might well "get away
with it" 99 times out of 100 ... I'd sure be pissed if I damaged something
just doing a compression test!

I used to run a MSD ignition on my TR3A that would throw a spark from the
center terminal all the way to one of the side terminals.  Ruined a coil
that way ...

Randall