RE: crank seal choice/ now pump pin?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: crank seal choice/ now pump pin?
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 16:47:09 EDT
Thanks Listers,
Randall, Pete, Bob, Hardy (catpusher), George, & others if I missed any,
for your advice on the 'aluminum vs. 'retro rubber' rear crank seal issue.
Last night I got the NOS aluminum seal.
My previous seal had about 200,000 miles on it but I couldn't see any wear -
and I had re-installed it about 80,000 miles and 29 years ago using only my
.003 feeler gauge. When we tried dry fitting the new one last night to the
crank
scroll it was a much more precise fit (no slop like the old one) - I think it
is going to work out just fine - plus using a mandrel to fit it should help.
Also got a NOS TR pump rotor/vane kit (wrapped in brown waxed paper and
sticky brown goo - looked authentic to me!) but when I cleaned it a bit found
it
didn't have a cross-pin locking rotor to shaft like my original '63 version.
I'm
guessing this one is from the '70's. Should I remove pin from my old rotor
and drill it into my new rotor/shaft? I guess Stanpart later decided a
'press-fit' was adequate but I seem to recall hearing some came loose! (or were
those
knock-off aftermarket ones?)
Any advice on to pin - or not to pin?
Regards,