pad under the hood (bonnet)[TR4-TR4A]

To: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>, David Hammond <d_hammond@charter.net>, Gerald Van Vlack <jerryvv@alltel.net>, Bill DeWar <pcdelux@worldnet.att.net>, TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: pad under the hood (bonnet)[TR4-TR4A]
From: "James R. Holekamp" <jholekamp@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 09:34:41 -0500
Cc: Bruce Clough <clough@erinet.com>, Lou Metelko <lmtr4a@ctlnet.com>, Darrell Floyd <TR250Driver@aol.com>
My '64 TR4 (since '67) also had this 2" dia., 5/8" thick, fiber disc
glued to the underside of the hood (bonnet) above the thermostat area -
although it was removed and not replaced (to date) when the car was
repainted in the middle '90s.  When the disc was removed it was oil and
dirt soaked, chipped and about 1/2 gone - very ugly. To me, it looked
like a disc cut from fiberboard floor underlayment.

Last summer, at both VTR Red Wing & the TR Weekend at Mid-Ohio Sports
Car Course, I saw a very original, unrestored, powder blue (Wedgwood
blue?), late TR4 (as is mine).  This car was owned by the son (Mark ?)
of the original owner, and he belonged to a Michigan Triumph club. The
fiber pad on the underside of the hood (bonnet) was definitely still
existing on this car.  Somewhere I have photos which clearly show the
fiber disc due to good contrast with the light color of the blue paint
of this car.

This disc is not mentioned in the edition I have (Jul 00) of the Triumph
Register of America TR4 Judging Guide, so far as I know.  My guess at
this point is that these fiber discs were installed on at least some
late TR4s and TR4As.  There must have been a problem being addressed -
the hood (bonnet) striking the thermostat housing seems likely. I have
no plan to duplicate this disc on my TR4 - although an argument could
certainly be made that its absence should be a concours judging points
deduction.

Any other TR4s & TR4As out there with these ugly, makeshift looking
fiber discs glued to the hood (bonnet)?

Jay
'64 TR4 CT38895LO
Wheaton, IL