TR6 intermttent stalling

To: "Allan Markby" <allan_markby@hotmail.com>
Subject: TR6 intermttent stalling
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 10:07:58 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h47EA0bH023123
Message text written by "Allan Markby"
>1975 -TR6  Dual SU HS6 carb setup, mech fuel pump
Occasionally (but not on full tank) car will develop a low bass exhaust
noise, car will then stall. Push clutch in, wait 5 seconds, let clutch out
car restarts.

Not a problem on a lonely road but a little (lot) disconcerting in traffic.

Suggestions so far - fuel pump is too tired (it is original), low dashpot
oil level (topped up, problem still occurs), debris in the fuel - blocks
filter occasionally, fuel stops pumping when stalled and clears the line?

Any other suggestions before I replace the fuel pump and filter?
<

I like the tired fuel pump theory.  The low bas sound is due to one carb
running out of gas before the other.  I had the same problem from time to
time and found that operating the priming lever would allow instant
restart.  I replaced the pump with an electric one and have had no such
episodes since.

Or it could be vaporlock.

If it occurs fairly regularly you can temporarily fit an electric pump and
see if the symptom goes away.  If it does then you have a choice: fit the
electric pump more permanently or replace the mechanical pump.

Good luck

Dave Masey
71 TR6 (w/electric pump)

P.S. I acquired an inertial cut-out switch from a Ford product at a local
scrap yard for a few bucks and wired my pump through that - for safety's
sake.