Re: Fuel Sending Unit Float Repair, resin warning

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com
Subject: Re: Fuel Sending Unit Float Repair, resin warning
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:17:25 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
I guess that's another reason to "know what you're putting in your tank".
 I'll bet there are plenty of older TRs out there running around with the
older technologies as components in their fuel delivery systems.
Jay

>They don't call it gasohol any more, but 'oxygenate' is required to be
added to gasoline in many parts of the US (in spite of evidence that it
may add to overall pollution rather than reducing it).  'Oxygenate' is
either ethanol (used in mostly midwest and eastern states) or MTBE (here
in California), which has a similar effect on fuel system parts.  Modern
'rubber' fuel system parts are made with nitrile (aka acrylonitrile
butadiene rubber, NBR or Buna-N), which will stand up to ethanol and
MTBE. I don't know that MTBE will attack fiberglass resin, but if ethanol
does, I'll bet MTBE does too.