RE: Fuel Sending Unit Float Repair, resin warning

Subject: RE: Fuel Sending Unit Float Repair, resin warning
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 06:31:25 -0800
Cc: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
> As I understand it, when ethanol was popular in the Northeast as a
> gasoline additive (gasahol..I used it in the early 80's) it was also
> suspected of breaking down neoprene and other rubber based parts in fuel
> delivery systems.  I guess the advise is ....know what you're putting in
> your tank.

They don't call it gasohol any more, but 'oxygenate' is required to be added
to gasoline in many parts of the US (in spite of evidence that it may add to
overall pollution rather than reducing it).  'Oxygenate' is either ethanol
(used in mostly midwest and eastern states) or MTBE (here in California),
which has a similar effect on fuel system parts.  Modern 'rubber' fuel
system parts are made with nitrile (aka acrylonitrile butadiene rubber, NBR
or Buna-N), which will stand up to ethanol and MTBE.

I don't know that MTBE will attack fiberglass resin, but if ethanol does,
I'll bet MTBE does too.

Randall