Re- Fuel Tank leak

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re- Fuel Tank leak
From: "Roger Langley" <galahad@uslink.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 02:47:27 -0500
I have had Jag fuel tanks re-done with a process like "renu" that was
mentioned in an earlier e-mail.  If the problem is rust and you do not fix
why the exterior was metal, you end up with a rather badly designed fuel
cell as the metal rots away from the liner over successive years.
Otherwise, I had no problems with plugging injectors or anything in the fuel
system.  However, it is not cheap so shop for a fuel tank as a comparison.

Soldering works well but rinse the tank with hot soapy water and then hot
water and let it dry thoroughly first.  It can take a couple of days to
really dry.

There is a moldable putty that is grey and looks like silly putty that they
sell in auto stores (usually a little display on the counter)  It seems to
be an epoxy patch, and if you clean the surface well (bright shiny metal) it
is a good temporary patch.  I had one last over a year on a car that
deserved no better.

Roger
'71 GT6